Re: GRDDL and HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:18:14 +0000 (UTC)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>, "public-grddl-comments@w3.org" <public-grddl-comments@w3.org>

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > GRDDL isn't going to work very well using the profile="" attribute if
> > it requires something that profiles don't do.
>
> What exactly does it require that profiles do not do?

GRDDL requires profile pages to specify how to process pages to obtain the
actual data, in a computer-readable manner. Few (if any) profile pages for
widely used profiles actually do this. (I have seen people go so far as to
suggest using custom profile pages that _do_ include this information
instead of using the correct profile="" page precisely because of this.)

> BTW, it would be really great if the microformats community would [...]
>
> Again, if you are right, the microformats community needs to [...]

I recommend taking that up with them. I do not speak for the Microfomats
community any more than you.