Re: GRDDL and HTML5

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> To date microformats.org (and as far as I've seen the majority of
>> microformat publishers) haven't exactly jumped on the notion of
>> URI-based extensibility
>
> GRDDL isn't going to work very well using the profile="" attribute if it
> requires something that profiles don't do.

What exactly does it require that profiles do not do?

>> Truth be known, I am attracted to Dan's attitude - "I'm content for the
>> market to choose" [1], despite my having yet to see evidence of the
>> wisdom of crowds (including software companies ;-)
>
> The market has already chosen -- the vast majority of pages that use
> Microformats or other mechanisms that are supposed to have profile=""
> values (e.g. hCard, Dublin Core metadata, etc) don't have them. That's why
> we're dropping it from HTML5. There's no point including a feature that in
> practice is ignored.

It isn't ignored by everybody, as far as I can tell. Just because
microformats work without doesn't mean it's not in use.

BTW, it would be really great if the microformats community would come
up with an answer whether they like @profile or not. Right now the
information on microformats.org is totally inconsistent, which doesn't
give me confidence in their process at all.

> To be honest I don't really understand the reluctance from the GRDDL
> community here. profile="" doesn't work, people don't use it. Surely the
> right thing to do is to take that into account and fix GRDDL to work with
> real world content. Why would you want to cling to something that has
> widely been ignored and will make it harder to use GRDDL on the Web?

Again, if you are right, the microformats community needs to do the same.

BR, Julian