Re: What about XQuery?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:24:20 -0500
To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>
Cc: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>, "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>, Jim Melton <jim.melton@acm.org>, Andrew Eisenberg <andrew.eisenberg@us.ibm.com>, public-grddl-comments@w3.org, w3c-xsl-query@w3.org

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 13:17 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
[...]
> I think it would be simple to change this to say "XSLT and XQuery are
> specifically designed to express XML to XML transformations and has some
> good safety characteristics" or add a sentence like: "XQuery, another
> language designed specifically for such tasks, is not yet used in
> existing GRDDL implementations."

OK, I salted to taste a bit:

"While technically Javascript, C, or virtually any other programming
language may be used to express transformations for GRDDL, XSLT is
specifically designed to express XML to XML transformations and has some
good safety characteristics; XQuery has similar characteristics to XSLT,
though use of XQuery in GRDDL implementation is less widely deployed at
the time of this writing."
 -- GRDDL spec, editor's draft
  http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#txforms
  1.288  2007/07/19 21:21:00

> P.S.,  as you probably guess, I'm not satisfied with your answer.

How about now?