Re: Javascript and GRDDL

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:55:15 -0800
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
CC: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>, public-grddl-comments@w3.org

Harry Halpin wrote:
> Stefano - and I might add I'm quite a fan of the Simile worktools and am
> currently using them to create a history of interactivity - your
> comments from here were forwarded to the GRDDL WG [1]. I'm especially
> interested because last time I "demo'ed" GRDDL I used Piggybank and the
> various scrapers, and people really liked it. I would in particular I
> love it if the GRDDL scraper [2] used in Simile fully implements GRDDL.
> You bring up all sorts of relevant points [1], particularly as regards
> "scraping." We have not on purpose ignored Javascript or scraping, and
> in fact our use-case document [3] has a use-case that not only mentioned
> using "tidy" to get valid XHTML out of messy "producer" HTML. Originally
> it also had a point about using "scraping" even if a GRDDL profile was
> missing, and did mention that it was risky, yet the point was deemed so
> risky and we had so little experience with it collectively that the
> point was removed. If a case can be made to put it back in, which is
> what you seem to be saying [1], then I am interested.
> Re deployment, note that if a GRDDL transform can be put in the profile
> URI or a namespace document, the author of the instance document does
> not even have to explicitly add a link to a GRDDL transform. This
> significantly lowers the cost of GRDDL deployment, for as long as we can
> get the authors of popular namespaces to deploy transforms, we get RDF
> for free.
> Also, we have specifically left GRDDL open for use of Javascript
> transformations. I understand Javascript has no standardized output
> stream, yet without any active Javascript developers for GRDDL it is
> hard for the GRDDL WG to provide any guidance. Since we already have
> developers in C, Python, and Java actively working on GRDDL
> implementations, a Javascript-based GRDDL implementation that uses
> Javascript transforms or interfaces with XSLT transforms (or both!)
> would be wonderful.
> Ben Adida was working on a GRDDL-transformation using Javascript [4],
> but due to time constraints he is no longer doing so.
> So, as GRDDL has just reached Last Call [5], now would be a good time to
> bring up any comments!
> [1] http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=General&msgId=15275
> [2] http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/GRDDL_Scraper
> [3]
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/doc43/scenario-gallery.htm#html_tidy_use_case
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/hGRDDL_Example
> [5] http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/
> Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
>> I wanted to bring this to the attention of the WG (spotted by Danny).
>> It would be a shame if this passed by the radar (at the very least it
>> is very relevant commentary):
>> http://simile.mit.edu/mail/ReadMsg?listName=General&msgId=15275
>> Chimezie Ogbuji
>> Lead Systems Analyst
>> Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
>> Cleveland Clinic Foundation
> [...]

I've elaborated and commented more on my blog and added some
constructive criticism at the end.

Hope this helps.

Stefano Mazzocchi
Digital Libraries Research Group                 Research Scientist
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
E25-131, 77 Massachusetts Ave               skype: stefanomazzocchi
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307, USA         email: stefanom at mit . edu