Re: Comments on GRDDL

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 11:42 -0400, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
> The failure of a transformation could be interpreted by a processor as
> producing no RDF data (fail silently) or the error could be passed
> back to the invoker.

Since (as Dan mentioned) GRDDL results are defined declaratively, error
scenarios don't need to be covered exhaustively: you are a GRDDL-aware
agent *only* if you compute GRDDL results:

[[
A GRDDL-aware agent is a software module that computes GRDDL results of
information resources.
]] - http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#sec_agt

Regardless of how the failure is interpreted it amounts to the same
thing.  If the failure is interpreted as producing no RDF data (a
graceful failure ala try/catch-do-nothing), there is no GRDDL result:

[[
.. and TP applied to R gives an RDF Graph[RDFC04] G, then G is a GRDDL
result of IR ..
]] - http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#rule_result

If the failure is caught and passed on to the invoker, it is still the
case that a GRDDL result is never computed.  So, the implementations
only explicit responsibility is to follow the mechanisms outlined only
if the conditions match.  In this case, if indeed the transformation
computes a GRDDL result, there is more you need to do.  Otherwise, do
what is prudent for the agent.

> On producing non-RDF elements, let me extend your analogy and say that
> a processor returns both 11 and "volunteer". The extraneous value
> could be silently ignored, or the entire answer could be considered
> meaningless and the invoker informed of the error.
> We are suggesting that both cases be acknowledged in the
> specification, and that you specify the behavior allowed by a GRDDL
> processor.

I hope the text above clarifies the binary nature of the output of a
GRDDL transform: either it produces RDF or it doesn't.

--
Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst

Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top 3 hospitals in
America by U.S.News & World Report. Visit us online at
http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of
our services, staff and locations.