Re: Best Practices editors: to-do list & timelines - For tomorrow's meeting

+1 both Dave and Phil. Speaking as a government ICT type, procurement has no place there.

In addition to the others comments, it also as (was) written suggest that one can't or shouldn't pursure bespoke or in-sourced options. When approaching market, any such checklist is pretty well irrelevant anyway in any gov environment where the core decision factors are Value for Money, Total Cost of Ownership and Return on Investment, followed by existing system interoperability, restrictive licesing or vendor lock-in risk, and if it is a COTS (Commercial of the Shelf) product - that is - does it work as advertised and meet basic business requirements with little or no bespoke customisation, and are enterpise support or managed service options available, or is it already ubiqitous in industry and government with a relatively cost effective ready skill pool to draw on.

The ideals discussed in that section are nice to haves, but not realistic in regulated and transparent government environments with top level mandated ICT procurement processes.

Cheers

Chris Beer
Australian Government Linked Data Working Group

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Phil Archer wrote ----