Re: Best Practices editors: to-do list & timelines - For tomorrow's meeting

As things stand I'm with Dave on wanting this section removed and
therefore, whatever the past discussion, I would like us to discuss the
issue. Personally I am very uncomfortable with the text as it is at the
moment on the grounds that:

1. it is clearly written for one specific country (USA);
2. it assumes all sorts of norms that may not apply elsewhere;
3. it does not, IMO, make recommendations specific to Linked Data.

Governments have detailed procurement guidelines that may or may not
match this list. If we're to include the section at all, my suggestion
would be something like:

This procurement checklist and [the] Linked Data Glossary are intended
to assist contract officers understand the [specific] requirements
associated with publishing open government content as Linked Data that
apply in addition to the regular procurement guidelines under which they
operate.

+ Does the potential vendor explicitly support open standards for Linked
Data, notably those produced by W3C? (watch out for 'vendor-specific
features' that will lead to vendor lock-in).

+ Is the potential service transferable to another vendor (this is a key
feature of the open standards approach).

Others may be able to think of one or two more but those are the two I
think are the key ones. And as it's such a short list, I do wonder what
the value of the procurement section is.

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
W3C eGovernment