"procurement", was Re: Quick review of the BP doc

On 11/20/2013 07:23 AM, Dave Reynolds wrote:
> On 20/11/13 11:57, Phil Archer wrote:
>> Bernadette, Boris, Ghislain,
>
>> The procurement checklist is very US-centric ('federal-wide') is the
>> give away ;-) But the thing that's missing from the list is use of open
>> standards. I would add:
>>
>> * Does the software use open standards for data exchange?
>> * Is the service replaceable with a competing service with a minimum of
>> disruption? (i.e. avoid vendor lock-in).
>
> I have lost track of the number of times I have objected to the
> procurement section being in there at all.  My position on that has
> not changed.

And just to remind folks, it's there because of a misunderstanding, for
which I have to accept some blame.    In writing the Charter section on
Best Practices, I gave the first item the heading "Procurement", which
suggests that section might be best practices about procurement, like
the text currently in BP.

A very careful reading reveals that charter heading is misleading, and
the Best Practice actually requested there is: a set of definitions for
the products and services a government is likely to need to procure if
it wants to publish Linked Data.    EG a "Linked Data Server".  When
developing the charter, this was something that had a lot of support,
since writing these definitions anew each time is apparently a huge pain
point for gov't folks.   I can imagine vendors might like a fixed set as
well.

Oh well.   Sorry the heading was misleading.   :-(

Also, I note the bp is still using an obsolete version of respec; that
will need to be fixed before it can be published.   (see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0003.html )

     -- Sandro