Re: ISSUE-26 (dct:language range): Range of dcterms:language is a resource, not literal [DCAT]

From: Stasinos Konstantopoulos <konstant@iit.demokritos.gr>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:42:44 +0200
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: Government Linked Data Working Group <public-gld-wg@w3.org>
On Thu Feb  9 14:37:45 2012 Richard Cyganiak said:

> > We have a number of options:
> > - create a subproperty and define its range as being a literal;
> > - identify a set of URIs that end with the RFC3066 codes (analogous to http://dbpedia.org/page/ISO_3166-2:XX for countries);
> > - create such a set (this could be seen as being very useful by others!);
> > - stop worrying and just use a literal and have done with it.
> I think this was discussed before. My recommendation would be to use
> an xsd:language typed literal. That's explicit, and doesn't require
> minting language URIs.

We don't need to mint new language URIs, the US LoC are maintaining such
URIs based on the two-letter codes in ISO 639, e.g.

See http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1.html for the full list of
URIs. They are all defined as instances of
which is a subClassOf

I believe that this vocabulary is a perfect fit for our needs.