Re: ISSUE-12 (valuesForDataFormat): What values to use to describe formats of dcat:Distribution? [DCAT]

Pls see below.

On 14/02/2012 17:04, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2012, at 16:27, Phil Archer wrote:
>> I think I'm happiest with, again, pointing to the "this is what we mean by a stable URI scheme" in the best practices doc and then maybe giving one or two examples and finally saying that if they can't find one then "foo/bar" is a reasonable fall-back.
>
> Can't we do better than this?

Let's try,

> The goal is interoperability. If four catalogs use these four different ways of denoting RDF/XML:
>
>      <http://dbpedia.org/resource/RDF/XML>
>      <http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/RDF_XML>
>      "RDF/XML"
>      "application/rdf+xml"
>      "rdf"
>
> … then we have failed to reach the goal of interoperability.

True.

> IMO the requirements for our recommended representation of formats are:
>
> 1. Easy to convert from the de facto standard identifiers (IETF media types) to our chosen representation (ideally incl. possibility to validate)

Yes. From your list I'd say that leaves us with any of

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/RDF/XML>
<http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/RDF_XML>
"application/rdf+xml"

i.e. remove rdf as it's way too ambiguous. Also RDF/XML. If we just
suggest people use a string it's not controlled enough and we'll get
junk (the Excel example being an excellent case in point).

> 2. Reasonably complete coverage of file formats

Yes. That knocks out /ns/formats which is currently very small.

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/RDF/XML>
"application/rdf+xml"

> 3. Ability to handle existing data that doesn't use a controlled vocabulary (e.g., what if you have all of “XLS”, “Excel”, “Excel 95”, “MS Office Spreadsheet” in the input data?)

And here's where we hit the reason why Ivan created /ns/formats. MIME
types don't provide a 1-1 mapping to actual file formats. So I'm going
to put it back in and knock out the plain MIME type.

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/RDF/XML>
<http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/RDF_XML>

> 4. Some recommendation for how to deal with file formats that are not registered anywhere, e.g., shapefiles

Wikipedia doesn't distinguish between the different versions of Excel
(and presumably the same is true for Word, PPT etc. I didn't bother to
check). Also, is there a wiki/DBpedia entry for every file format?

Which drives me, with all due respect and acknowledgement to the person
I'm about to say this to, to knock out DBpedia to leave us with:

<http://www.w3.org/ns/formats/RDF_XML>

Another issue is the push-back from governments on using DBpedia. It may
not be considered stable enough (I know, I know...)  and if we propose
something that people don't like well, the outcome is obvious.

The /ns/formats solution has come up in the ADMS work as being
"something it would be really good to have extended." It's not a huge
job to do this, but it is a human task. And that means it needs
maintenance.

We would need to set up a system that made it easy to add new entries
(at the moment you have to write a few files, update a .htacees file and
what have you). So, OK, let's take this out again which leaves us with:

<empty />

Have we overlooked anything?

Well, there's Ed Summers' work that Michael pointed us to
http://mediatypes.appspot.com/ which gets around most of the problems
but still leaves us with the lack of 1-1 mapping. But that might be the
best we can do.

To be usable, we'd need to bring it into w3.org or some other
über-stable domain. And that means sys team support. It's not
impossible, especially as the code exists, and if there's a community
willing to maintain it, OK, but I wonder if this is the time to test out
Sandro's idea of a single domain for a single purpose.

That would mean setting up, say, fileformats.org (it's for sale) and
then managing it as part of the W3C 'estate'. That's probably an even
higher hurdle than getting the necessary permissions to run Ed's code on
w3.org.

I really hope that others can blow a hole in my thinking and point out
the easy answer!

Phil.

>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/

--