Re: Linked Data Glossary request - where to publish for quality & longevity?

Bernadette,

my personal preference would very clearly go for a W3C WG Note. It may only be me, but a W3C Note gives me the feeling of something more stable or at least more mature (even if I *know* that this is a note, it can be updated at any time, etc), whereas a wiki page is, well, something that looks as if it was just being worked on.

As far as I could see, the ontology itself is in www.w3.org/ns, which is perfect. We could do a redirection, namely that a request for HTML would go to the Note, whereas a request in turtle or rdf/xml would lead to the RDF/OWL code.

If you really really want to be nice, then the HTML code for the Note could be in RDFa, automatically generating the OWL file in turtle or RDF/XML, but would just be the cherry on the cake...:-)

I hope this helps

Ivan

On Aug 16, 2012, at 17:28 , Bernadette Hyland wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
> During today's Gov Linked Data working group we discussed the need to put the finishing touches on a Linked Data glossary [1], give it a nice URL and publish it.  I'm keen to get this wrapped up asap, so hopefully this is a quick multiple choice question (A, B or C below).
>
> NB:  The target audience for this glossary are IT managers and developers who are coming up the learning curve on Linked Data.  It is not intended as an academic resource.  I planning to add links to other glossary terms and will happily fold in feedback from anyone who can improve it.
>
> Quick background:
>
> Back in April I took the action to seed the glossary with support from Ghislain Atemezing.  That is done now & we have approximately 90 terms with definitions.  When I put up the page as a W3C ED, I did so because that was the framework with which I was familiar.   I have no preference one way or the other regarding it being a Working Note or on the W3 wiki,  I just want to see it a) on the w3.org domain; and 2) be of good quality and consistency.  It would be nice if more people than the editors can update it over time too.
>
> My question to you is, where is it best published?
> A) On w3.org site as a Working Note
> B) On http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki
> C) some other suggestion
>
> --> Please advise.
>

> PS.  In due course we'll link to the glossary on linkeddata.org [2] (which Tom Heath maintains) and vice versa. I've asked Tom to review our glossary and provide any feedback/updates.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernadette Hyland, co-chair
> W3C Government Linked Data Working Group
> Charter: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/
>
> [1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/org/index.html
> [2] http://linkeddata.org/glossary    (The linkeddata.org guys have the coolest URL IMO)

----