Re: 2 preliminary DCAT questions

Hi,

On 8 Jan 2013, at 00:19, Timothy Herzog wrote:

> Sorry for the duplicate post; but it appears my original message was not sent as plain text, making it difficult to read, so I'm trying another mail account.
>
> As stated in my previous post I'm new to DCAT and coming up to speed. Wonder if I could solicit  your advice on a couple of use cases:
>
> 1) Compressed download files contain common data types, such as CSV, Excel or ESRI shapefiles. Ostensibly, the format property should match the media type, but is there a good way to indicate the archive contents?  For example:
>
> :dataset
>   a dcat:Download ;
>   dcat:accessURL <http://databank.worldbank.org/databank/download/WDIandGDF_excel.zip> ;
>
>   dcat:format [
>     a dc:IMT ;
>     rdf:value "application/zip" ;
>     rdfs:label "Compressed Excel" ;
>   ];
> .
>
> :dataset
>   a dcat:Download ;
>   dcat:accessURL <http://haitidata.org/hti_geology_hydrogeology_bme_polygon_2010.zip> ;
>
>   dcat:format [
>     a dc:IMT ;
>     rdf:value "application/zip" ;
>     rdfs:label "ESRI Shapefile" ;
>   ];
> .

See: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/12

the recommended way is at the bottom of the page:

"Agreed: define dcat:mediaType as a sub-property of dc:format. Publishers should use dcat:mediaType to provide a Media Type as defined by IANA. if this is not available, then publishers may use dc:format"

therefore, what you wrote above looks correct to me. You might consider adding a dcat:mimeType property.

> 2) Any suggestions for including the contact information for a dataset, i.e., who to call with questions? dc:publisher, dc:creator and dc:mediator are close, but not quite.

You can define a maintainer or creator as a resource and provide the email as a property of him. Something ilke

:dataset dc:maintainer :person .
:person foaf:mbox  <mailto:p@xx.com>  .

> Thanks,
> Tim Herzog