Re: Proximity alarm interface

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Steve Block <steveblock@google.com> wrote:
>> How much battery life savings is there?
> The argument we discussed at the face-to-face was that the UA could
> simply check WiFi and/or Cell IDs until it got close to the relevant
> location, and only then enable full location look-ups, possibly
> including GPS.

Not sure I fully understand this: how would the UA know it got close
to the relevant location solely by looking at WiFi and CellIDs?
Wouldn't it have to use the network to get a lat/long back? And if so,
doesn't it mean it would keep the 3G / WiFis antenna working all the
time, which would drain the batter considerably? If this is true, it
sounds do me that the battery life savings are very questionable.

Thanks,