Re: Forward/backward compatibility

There are lots of cases where converting a civic address to a
lat/long/altitude results in silly results.  I'm sure Martin has better
examples, but here are a few that come to mind:

The most obvious one is where the civic address describes a large area,
like a state or a county.  You can run into this even when the address
represents a specific unit of land, like a large farm.  Or a large
building, like the Merchandise Mart or the Pentagon.  (Factoid: The
Pentagon takes up 0.004 of a degree of latitude.  Merchandise Mart.
Both have their own ZIP codes.)

My favorite example is tall buildings, where a lat/long/alt gets you to
the door and tells you how many meters to go up, but not to which floor.

--Richard