Re: [compositing] Requesting clarification of color interpolation

Hi TJ,

On 01/21/2015 12:57 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 01/19/2015 05:28 AM, Nikos Andronikos wrote:
>>> I'm not quite following what you've written here. I think you're saying
>>> you would like the initial values of color-interpolation to be changed
>>> to linearRGB but I'm not sure how that would stay compatible with
>>> css3-color?
>>

>> I am unsure at what stage css3-color is, i.e. whether one needs to remain
>> compatible with it at the cost of correctness, or whether it is perferable
>> to align css3 and png in this regard. AFAICT this was unspecified before,
>> but of course, it wasn't implemented correctly anywhere so I see that's not
>> a very convincing argument.
>>
>> Nonetheless, it would be higher up in the order of preference I just gave.
>
> The Colors 3 spec is quite old and stable, and accurately describes
> how all browsers behave currently.  Changing the way that colors
> interpolate by default would be a breaking change that wouldn't be
> accepted - it would cause any content that currently relies (either
> explicitly or implicitly) on sRGB interpolation to display the wrong
> colors.
>
> ~TJ

Oops, that was my fault, I meant to refer to css-color level 4. Level 3
is a recommendation, of course, and all of it is widely available.
Anyway, it would be odd to have a different default depending on when
things were specified.

Cheers,

Simon