Re: [compositing] Requesting clarification of color interpolation

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 01/19/2015 05:28 AM, Nikos Andronikos wrote:
>> I'm not quite following what you've written here. I think you're saying
>> you would like the initial values of color-interpolation to be changed
>> to linearRGB but I'm not sure how that would stay compatible with
>> css3-color?
>

> I am unsure at what stage css3-color is, i.e. whether one needs to remain
> compatible with it at the cost of correctness, or whether it is perferable
> to align css3 and png in this regard. AFAICT this was unspecified before,
> but of course, it wasn't implemented correctly anywhere so I see that's not
> a very convincing argument.
>
> Nonetheless, it would be higher up in the order of preference I just gave.

The Colors 3 spec is quite old and stable, and accurately describes
how all browsers behave currently.  Changing the way that colors
interpolate by default would be a breaking change that wouldn't be
accepted - it would cause any content that currently relies (either
explicitly or implicitly) on sRGB interpolation to display the wrong
colors.

~TJ