Re: comments on Matrix

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM, James Robinson <jamesr@google.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'll formally object to an exception being thrown here.
>>>
>>> SVG matrix throws an exception and since this is a drop-in replacement,
>>> Matrix needs to throw one too :-(
>>
>> This is a clear example of SVG making a (bad) mistake that we should not
>> inflict on the rest of the web platform.
>
> Are you objecting to any exceptions being thrown?
> There are exceptions in all authors facing APIs.

No, he objects for the same reason I am - a matrix being singular is
not a particularly exceptional situation, and whether an
implementation considers a matrix singular will depend in some cases
on the exact algorithm and FP implementation being used.  This is,
thus, a *terrible* example of a place to throw an exception, as
authors won't expect it, and it'll vary between platforms for no
important reason.

~TJ