Re: [css-filters] linearRGB vs sRGB

On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 12:05:42 AM, Rik wrote:

RC> All,
RC> currently the SVG spec states that by default, all filtering
RC> operations should happen in linearRGB:
RC> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#ColorInterpolationProperties

RC> If you want the filtering to happen in sRGB, you need to specify
RC> 'color-interpolation-filters: sRGB'

Correct.

RC> My question is, can you do this with the shorthand CSS filters as well?
RC>  I believe the opacity, brightness and contrast filters should
RC> happen in sRGB and if the 'color-interpolation-filters' attribute
RC> in not supported, there is no way to get that behavior.

You may be right, but could you explain why those three should use companed sRGB rather than a light-linear space for computation?

(And you are correct that the 'color-interpolation-filters' property should either be directly supported in the shorthand syntax, or alternatively each shorthand should state what the effective value of 'color-interpolation-filters' is - as well as giving the equivalent element-based filter syntax that corresponds to the shorthand.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG