Re: Matrix4x4 proposal

From: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:28:23 -0800
Cc: public-fx@w3.org, igor.oliveira@openbossa.org
To: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>

On Jan 11, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Dean Jackson wrote:

> [Apologies if this mail comes out badly formatted - I'm using a crappy web mail app]
>
> This is picking up from Igor's proposal [1] and completes my action (given at the W3C TP) to propose a more "native" matrix class.
>
> Open questions:
>
> - should include ortho() and perspective() functions? (suggestion: YES)
> - should include a matrix decomposition method? (suggestion: YES)

I'd like to add that if we add matrix decomp then we should also consider adding a set function or ctor that takes the decomposed values and constructs a new matrix, so we can easily round trip the conversion (as much as is possible with matrix decomposition).

> - should include a lookAt() method? (suggestion: PROBABLY, requires vectors or multiple parameters)

Just a note that this is often used in an inner loop and is complex enough that we would get a significant performance benefit from it.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com