Re: Filters spec: CSS vs SVG

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 13:41:32 +0200
To: public-fx@w3.org
On Tue, 03 May 2011 20:30:05 +0200, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> in yesterday's meeting is sounded that the CSS Filter spec is going to
> affect the regular (non-CSS) SVG filter spec as well.
> Did I understand this correctly?

It's "Filter Effects 1.0", and the spec can be found here:

   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/publish/Filters.html

As agreed in earlier discussions in the taskforce we're making one spec.
It includes both SVG and CSS definitions.

> If so and we remove/change filters or features from the filters
> proposal, is
> someone going to update the SVG filters?

No, the Filter Effects 1.0 spec replaces the SVG Filters 1.2 spec.

> I was under the impression that we were going to leave SVG filters (and
> compositing) alone and define a new simpler proposal that would only
> apply
> to CSS styled HTML and SVG content.

We are defining a simpler syntax for filter effects, however I'm not
convinced it's a good idea to ignore SVG Filters which are widely
implemented at this stage, and considering that diverging from that
potentially makes it harder to reuse existing code.

The general idea so far has been: use svg <filter> markup for the more
complex filter effects, use css shorthands for simple filter effects.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group