Re: Updated filters specification

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:22:21 +0200
To: "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com>, "Rik Cabanier" <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: public-fx@w3.org
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 06:23:57 +0200, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> This looks very good!
>
> A couple of questions:
> 1. Filter region extensions.
> Why do you need to specify this? I can see that this is necessary for
> certain types of filters, but for the most common ones, the browser can
> just
> calculate if for you.
> Could this be optional? It will for sure make author's life easier...

Yeah, that's been discussed before, and they're going away, I have an
action to remove that (it's basically leftovers from an old SVG 1.2 Full
draft).

> 2. Accessing the background image
> Would there ever be a reason to do this? This seems like a very expensive
> operation that could be worked around by rearranging the content.

You're right that it can be expensive to generate. I think in some (rare?)
scenarios it is necessary to have something like enable-background. There
is also the SVG 1.1 backwards compatibility aspect to consider. Feel free
to elaborate on how an alternative to enable-background would look like.

'enable-background' should be deprecated, because they are useless in
practice. We should let the UA compute the necessary background buffer
region, and just ignore these values if specified.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group