XForms 2 and XPath 1, was Re: Draft minutes for 2012-02-01

Hi Everyone,

Previously I said it was more important for XPath 1 to be *required* to
implement under XForms 1.2, whereas for XForms 2.0 it is OK to go down to
[*recommended*  + allowed to be supported by XPath 2 compat mode].

While it is true that XPath 2 came out a long time ago, we do still need a
gentler transition for XForms 1.1 content, which is xpath 1 focused.

I remain unclear what is the big blob of work that is being avoided by
ripping out the lion's share of the work already done to be clear about
xpath 1 works with XForms 2.

I also think there are perhaps a few things that will come to mind as
being appropriate for XPath 1 only, but then I still have a
lowest-common-denominator expectation that those same forms will work when
someone does use an XForms 2.0 + XPath 2 processor.  One that comes to
mind is the eval-in-context() function.  In Xpath 2 you don't need this
because the grammar of XPath 2 fixes a grammatic limitation in XPath 1.
But, if I want to write a form that also works in XForms 2 + XPath 1
processor, then I would use the eval-in-context() function.

Hasn't the bulk of the work already been done by Nick to handle both?  Why
get rid of it?

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/johnboyerphd
Blog RSS feed: