Variables in XForms

From: Nick Van den Bleeken <Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 12:21:06 +0000
To: Public Forms <public-forms@w3.org>
CC: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
I made a proposal for supporting variables in XForms http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Variables_in_XPath#Proposal_.282011-12.29

The proposal just adds variables as child of action and everywhere else in the document except in the model. I know that there are use cases for defining variables in the model (either explicitly or implicitly by defining binds), but scoping and update/dependency rules will become probably quite complicated. I see variables defined in the model as global variables and so my proposal only defines local variables.

A lot of use cases are solved by only supporting local variables, that's why I want to propose to only standardize those for now.

Kind regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken
R&D Manager

Phone: +32 3 821 01 70