Re: Variables in XForms

Nick and all,

I think it is fine for now to define variables within actions and controls.
If I find the time to make a proposal for variables in the model I will.

There are a few points to clarify:

1. Whether variables can appear *within* core form controls (that is,
non-container controls).

Such variables could be used by xforms:label, xforms:itemset, etc. You
could even go further and allow placement within xforms:choices,
xforms:item, etc.

Orbeon does not support this at the moment. For me, it would be ok to say
that variables can be placed wherever a core form control can be placed,
even though there is nothing that would argue against placing variables
within core controls.

2. Whether a variable can omit the @value attribute and be initialized with
constant text content.

Orbeon supports this. You can write:

  <xforms:var name="foo">bar</xforms:var>

and the value takes the value of the string 'bar'. This is consistent with
XSLT and with other XForms constructs like xforms:label.

You could go further and support nested xforms:output, although I don't see
the need for this.

3. Whether, like most controls, a variable supports a binding.

Orbeon supports this. You can write:

  <xforms:var model="my-model" context="instance('bar')" ref="baz"
value="@gaga"/>

The @value attribute evaluates relative to the binding, if any.

The binding doesn't use bound MIPs (in particular relevance), but as
suggested the use of @model is convenient, and @context as well. This makes
attributes on the variable consistent with other controls. An
implementation can use the same code for variables and other controls
instead of special-casing variables.

4. Whether variables can be used from control bindings.

For example:

  <xforms:var name="foo" value="bar"/>
  <xforms:input ref="$foo">...

Orbeon supports this, as it's obviously useful. But it might be good to
explicitly say this in the spec.

-Erik