Making XForms 1.2 more RESTfull: submission URI Templates and matrix URIs

From: Leigh L. Klotz, Jr. <Leigh.Klotz@Xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:59:23 -0700
To: public-forms@w3.org
  With submission/resource/@value we can control the URI of submissions
and enable REST architectural style operations on resources named by URIs.

It's not very pretty, though, and form authors tend to use the default
GET serialization of leaf nodes into query strings; then when a REST
design would have them to POST or PUT, things get uglier again.

It might be nice if XForms 1.2 could use a template to serialize some
nodes into the resource.

Joe Gregorio has an (expired) RFC on URI templates, and here are some
pages about it:
http://bitworking.org/news/URI_Templates
http://blog.welldesignedurls.org/2007/01/03/about-uri-templates/
http://code.google.com/p/uri-templates/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-uritemplate-03
WADL uses the concept, as do some other REST systems (such as RESTLET).

Also, I believe Philip Fennel has been using matrix recently, and
perhaps this is another serialization we can use for the resource data.

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/12/the_matrix_revisited.html
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/MatrixURIs.html

Leigh.