Re: @ref vs @nodeset

John,

What about @bind then? Simply looking at the @bind attribute, you can't tell
whether the consumer of the attribute will apply a single-node rule or
consume the whole node-set. I argued in my message on @ref vs. @nodeset [1]
that we wouldn't be doing anything different by standardizing on @ref.

In the case of languages importing XForms attributes on their own elements,
like <my:e> below, the language will have to determine what <my:e> is: is it
a control acting like an xf:input? If so, the control will consume only the
first node of the binding. Is it a control acting more like xf:repeat? Then
it can consume the whole node-set. In short, I don't quite see why the
attribute should absolutely specify that aspect of things (especially since
@bind seems to work just fine).

The rules for @ref would be simple:

* @ref returns whatever its XPath expression returns
* if the control supports single-node binding, it consumes the first node
only (if any)
* if the control supports a node-set binding (only repeat so far, since
itemset if not a control proper) it consumes the entire node-set
* MIP events are handled by the control according to the rules we are
defining for the improved UI events
* a node-set would not imply repetition (I don't think a good case has been
made for this and we already repeat element/attribute)

So far I still see only benefits to this proposed simplification:

* It doesn't make life more difficult to implementors since they already
must support @bind.
* It removes (deprecates) one attribute from the plethora of XForms
attributes.
* It solves the case of authors trying to use xforms:bind/@ref.

-Erik

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Mar/0003.html