Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> FWIW, what HTML5 does (which I think is fine) does not really amount to
> defining the event. It just says at certain places in the algorithms of
> the specification to dispatch an event called x. (With the appropriate
> details being defined in each case.) If other specifications use an
> event with the same name they would not need to refer to HTML5.
>
> E.g. HTML5 has a readystatechange event that is dispatched on the
> Document object. It does not need to refer to XMLHttpRequest for that or
> vice versa. They are separate events that just happen to have the same
> name and all the same properties.

Yeah. I really don't see any point in DOM Events actually defining any
events, to be honest, except if it also includes the strict requirements
for when they fire -- but even that, I'd prefer in a separate spec or
chapter, e.g. a User Interaction Events spec or chapter that defines in
painful detail when mouse events fire.

Right now, the text in DOM Events for when events fire is woefully
inadequate if we're to get full interop. For example, with 'submit', it
didn't even say if the event was async or sync, let alone exactly where it
fit into the submission model. Same with all the others.