Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:34:25 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Mark Birbeck wrote (on 9/22/09 10:53 AM):
>> As you point out, XForms uses its own events, but really it should use
>> the events you mention, and may do in a future version.
>
> In that case, it could refer to HTML5 for the definitions, or create a
> small dedicated spec for form-related events which extends DOM3 Events.
>   It should also contain an FormEvent interface the inherits from
> UIEvent, and the set of forms-centric event types.

FWIW, what HTML5 does (which I think is fine) does not really amount to
defining the event. It just says at certain places in the algorithms of
the specification to dispatch an event called x. (With the appropriate
details being defined in each case.) If other specifications use an event
with the same name they would not need to refer to HTML5.

E.g. HTML5 has a readystatechange event that is dispatched on the Document
object. It does not need to refer to XMLHttpRequest for that or vice
versa. They are separate events that just happen to have the same name and
all the same properties.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/