Fw: xsd:normalizedString

Testing...

----- Forwarded by John Boyer/CanWest/IBM on 10/27/2009 12:42 PM -----

From:
John Boyer/CanWest/IBM
To:
public-forms@w3.org
Date:
10/27/2009 11:35 AM
xsd:normalizedString

With respect to the action item on myself and Erik to investigate
xsd:normalizedString due to an email [1] to the group, I checked with C.
M. Sperberg-McQueen and Noah Mendelsohn, whose answers were consistent.
Net-net, whether or not the tests of normalizedString are correct depends
on a decision we have not really made about how to consume XML Schema.
Michael commented that it is unfortunate there is no list of "things to
consider" when consuming schema into another technology.  However, in this
case both he and Noah indicated that a schema technology consumer is much
more likely to agree with the authors of [1] that the "invalid" case is
not invalid because the strings are normalized before validity checking
because this makes it easier to simply consume a COTS schema engine.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2009Sep/0008.html

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: