Mark Birbeck [irc], webBackplane
Steven Pemberton, CWI/W3C
Uli Lissé, DreamLabs

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0026.html

* Previous Minutes

* XForms 1.1 Features in PicoForms

John Boyer: [Scribing in the IRC log for this agenda item]
Kenneth Sklander: Some of the best features of XForms 1.1 Targeted submission, and copying nodes with insertion (not that we like the word insert) More detailed submission element (i.e. the additional attributes) good cleanup from 1.0 Spec rewrite in itself was a good feature of 1.1. Cleaned up a lot of ambiguities From 1.2, JSON submissions are important >From 1.2, don't remember the other things we implemented offhand but the list coming up on the coming agenda looks very good

* XForms 1.2 Future Features in PicoForms

John Boyer: [See IRC Log.]
Kenneth Sklander: From 1.2, JSON submissions are important
Kenneth Sklander: From 1.2, don't remember the other things we implemented offhand but the list coming up on the coming agenda looks very good

John Boyer: Kenneth, can you comment on the future goals that you have implemented and other ideas? http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Future_Goals

Action 2009-06-10.1: Kenneth Sklander to provide list of implemented future features and other new ideas.

* XForms 1.1 Advancement to PR

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0001.html

Steven Pemberton: I need to include a list of important changes since last call.
John Boyer: All we have are the diffs.
Steven Pemberton: Are the diffs against the last-call version?
John Boyer: That would be agains the CR version.
Steven Pemberton: Yes, that version; I was mixing up the transition. So I can create the list and say to see the diff document.
John Boyer: The diffs are both important and unimportant.
Steven Pemberton: I can do the work to produce the diff of major changes. The diff document doesn't say it's a diff against the CR version. Could you add a link to the version it's relative to?
John Boyer: It's always a diff against the last published version.
Steven Pemberton: OK.
John Boyer: There are 436 diff-marks.

Action 2009-06-10.2: Steven Pemberton to summarize major differences between CR and PR.

Steven Pemberton: And I need a Disposition of Comments.
Charlie Wiecha: These aren't last-call comments, as this is after last call.
Steven Pemberton: Changes made against comments.
John Boyer: Brutal.
Steven Pemberton: I'm only really interested in comments sent to the public list; comments from within the working group not sent to the editor list need not be reflected in the Disposition of Comments. That is to make sure we did not reject any of them; we must explain those in the transition call.
John Boyer: That's in the mail archive.
Steven Pemberton: I will start off making a document listing the issues sent to the comments list.

Action 2009-06-10.3: Steven Pemberton to make initial draft of Disposition of Comments document from www-forms-editor list.

Steven Pemberton: I'll categorize them as editorial or substantial and what we decided to do with it.

* dispatch with delay question

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2009Jun/0006.html

John Boyer: Aaron Reed, the Mozilla XForms Extension implementor, asks when the events happen. I would think as part of default processing. Are there others who do the delay queue for the dispatch action.
Kenneth Sklander: We have a queue.
John Boyer: When do you get rid of it.
Kenneth Sklander: It depends on the event; some at the next UI. I can make a matrix.

Action 2009-06-10.4: Kenneth Sklander to provide implementation comments on when to flush event queue for dispatch with delay.

John Boyer: So when does the queue of unexecuted futured dispatches actually happen? Default-processing of model-destruct? I think the concern is that if you don't say when the queue goes away, it's possible the implementation might do a dispatch after processing is over with. I didn't feel we need to specify this in such detail; it seemed to me that model-destruct is notification that the model is going away very shortly.
Kenneth Sklander: It's a good point as there are multiple models and not every event is model.
John Boyer: Everything in XForms is either the model or associated with a model. There may be a few exceptions to that for things that have optional UI bindings, but even thenm I'd associate them with the model of their context node.
Kenneth Sklander: The error event that you cannot find the model id is not associated with a model.
John Boyer: There's no processing for destroying only one model.
Leigh Klotz: We might transclude models or use show=embed, so I wouldn't want to make a decision now that precludes that.
John Boyer: So in that case we'd have to remove items associated with those models from the queue. Every dispatch would have to have an associated model.
Kenneth Sklander: In our experience, it's complex. We have to enter the queue with different fields at different times. There could be UI elements with relevance and the UI disappears. Maybe we can make a matrix that says when this event occurs, that disappears from the queue, and also answer Aaron's question.
John Boyer: So if the element doesn't exist any more by the time you dispatch?
Kenneth Sklander: Maybe the element exists but cannot do what it wants to do.
John Boyer: Can you list it?

* case element documentation and schema

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2009Jun/0007.html

John Boyer: There's a case element child of switch which acts like a group, and one of toggle, which computes. He found it confusing, because there's no forward link from one case element to the other, to help the reader understand. >From an editorial perspective, we can make a forward link.

Action 2009-06-10.5: John Boyer to provide informative links between the two case elements in XForms 1.1.

John Boyer: It also looks like the schema is incorrect; it was added as a local element of the toggle, but set up by reference and referenced the other case element, the one that is intended to be a child of switch. We need to fix that. I'm game to fix that live here on the phone. It ought to be defined locally.
Leigh Klotz: When we started out all elements were global and we never really changed it.
John Boyer: There's good reason to fix it now. Can I just put the element definition inside?

John: <xsd:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xsd:element ref="xforms:case"/>

John Boyer: I'd like instead to put
<xsd:element name="case">

Charlie Wiecha: You can move the definition inside as a child, or make a local definition to a type defined within switch.
Leigh Klotz: It's true you can define a type and refer to it and make a concrete element or you can just move the element definition. There may be a difference in terms of authoring tools?

John Boyer: I must have made a mistake; the schema appears to be right. The toggle element has a sequence <xsd:element name="case" type="xforms:ValueTemplate"/>
. So it's already locally defined and ther's nothing wrong with the Schema at all. My apologies.
Leigh Klotz: If you wanted to make it clearer you could define the type globally and instantiate the type inside switch.
John Boyer: I'm not even sure I'd want to define a type, just define the element in switch.
Charlie Wiecha: Or define the type inside the switch.
Leigh Klotz: Why define a local type and a local element? How about just the one element?

* XForms 1.1 RNG Schema

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0022.html

Leigh Klotz: Markus Gyllig has implied he would help finish the RNG schema in a few hours if we needed to publish it.
John Boyer: The XSD Schema is a non-normative reference now.
Steven Pemberton: Or publish it as a note, and correct it as we need.
John Boyer: Or publish it next to the XSD Schema location and put it in the non-normative section.
Steven Pemberton: I have no objection to that if it's non-normative.
John Boyer: So we can do that any time before REC.
Leigh Klotz: So it's equal status to the XSD Schema, being non-normative.
John Boyer: Yes.
Leigh Klotz: OK, I'll ask Markus if he'll finish it before we go to REC, and if he does we can publish it in XForms 1.1 REC as equal status to the XSD Schema, which is to say, equally non-normative.
John Boyer: Yes.
Leigh Klotz: One more point: are the simpleTypes (the xsd:integer union empty string, for example) in a separate file?
John Boyer: No.
Leigh Klotz: It might be nice to pull them out.
John Boyer: OK, if it's necessary.

Action 2009-06-10.6: Leigh Klotz to Markus Gylling if he'll finish the XForms 1.1 RNG schema before we go to REC, and if he does we can publish it in XForms 1.1 REC as equal status to the XSD Schema, which is to say, equally non-normative.

* Forward links on selected submission attributes?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2009Jun/0003.html

John Boyer: Vlad's confusion is that submission has a lot of attributes. I think he's not reading the rest. Is anyone else confused?
Leigh Klotz: Do you know what editorial change you want to make?
John Boyer: Not really; I know in general, but it's quite a bit of work. It could be narrowed to xforms submit default processing section and one other section.
Leigh Klotz: Well, if it's only editorial, then perhaps it could be resolved simply with a note saying that there are definitions in different section.
John Boyer: Vlad said there he only read the attribute definitions and didn't realize there was another section.
Leigh Klotz: You could add a note saying to read the other section, and that would be a response, but it's not clear doing a lot of work is necessary.
John Boyer: If someone else hits it in the future we can consider it.

* Disposition of Comments

Steven Pemberton: [irc] I have made a first version of the XForms 1.1 DoC at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2009/xforms11-PR-DoC.html

* Forms Rechartering Discussion

John Boyer: I summarized our discussion in the Future Goals section of our wiki. http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Future_Goals
John Boyer: The Backplane concepts is only a subset of the WG interests. We have other areas of interest.
Charlie Wiecha: Aggregate apps, broader client concepts.
Steven Pemberton: So XForms is only part of what the Backplane is trying to achieve?
John Boyer: No, there are other themes in the WG that are Forms work. The most important discussion for the current WG is whether there is a willingness to recharter this group. There seems to be a lot of work for the Forms WG to do. Could we recharter under a new name?
Charlie Wiecha: Are the aggregate apps and broader client concepts interesting for the current community?
John Boyer: We have a community that is interested in "content-intensive applications." That's what we've meant for a long time with "form," dynamically-responsive applications. A group of pages working together, or users working together to create content with a server-side process orchestrating what's going on across a number of pages; yet still to get from page-to-page in that scenario there are things we can do to improve XForms. There are efficiency problems calling things in a sequence. We don't have a way to address web server security.
Charlie Wiecha: On aggregate applications, are we saying that the complete mechanism would be in scope, or just the deltas to the forms functionality with the architecture defined elsewhere.
John Boyer: I think the second. There are people who are doing commercial products doing workflows and business process, and I happen to be one of them. There are aspects of XForms now that we can't use beceause they are too coarse-grained and make the assumption that the web page is the application with one user.
Charlie Wiecha: I see nowhere that that assumption is being relaxed, except for widget packaging. Is that in scope, the intearctive scope of artifacts and resources?
John Boyer: It depends on what define as a form. We'd have to make improvements to XForms either way.
Erik Bruchez: It depends on the size of the group. There's so much to do with incremental XForms improvements that it's going to be hard to do them all. With orchestration and composite applications, there's a risk that we can sit around and try to make things up with limited usefulness. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to focus. It's great to introduce new ideas but the core for me is to standardize what people have been doing, and work on improvements to XForms as it is today.
Charlie Wiecha: It is a standards group, not a research group. That's an important point.
John Boyer: It might give us some focus.
Erik Bruchez: I don't think the members would be much different from what it is today.
John Boyer: There seems to be a lot of progress we can make as the Forms WG.
Leigh Klotz: Could the backplane work be done in XHTML2 if we have a forms focus?
Charlie Wiecha: The issue is more on aggregate apps and other things.
John Boyer: Authoring issues. I've called out concentrations of ideas that aren't 100% orthogonal to one another. One thing would be tagged as a Backplane feature, an authoring extensibility feature. Custom xpath functions, custom UI components (which goes into Backplane). Fair?
Charlie Wiecha: Absolutely.
John Boyer: A better DOM interface (which depends on what better means) bleeds over into client context, and backplane.
Leigh Klotz: So would this fit well if we had a forms focus?
John Boyer: Yes, what we've always thought of as forms.
Charlie Wiecha: The renaming issue was to get the rest of the world to understand that. Rechartering as forms is OK though.
John Boyer: Is it possible to recharter the group and change the name?
Erik Bruchez: The release of new Microsoft Bing is interesting...they plan to spend $100 million on marketing. Some people ask if it's better to spend that on making it better. I don't know if renaming the Forms WG would help much. I think Ubiquity XForms maturing would be one of the best ways to spread out.
Charlie Wiecha: I feel people get hung up on the name forms.
John Boyer: I think even if we hadan alternative name, there are groups whose names...
Charlie Wiecha: I'm not sure we have to change name, but we have to get across that the technology is beyond forms.
Erik Bruchez: I think there are exciting things to be done. I like extensibility and XBL and custom UI components. Very practically, you can pull in and leverage existing JavaScript frameworks. We have had demos of this (maps) but it's not been a main focus. I believe there's a chance of showing it's not just about input fields by putting in the right features.
Charlie Wiecha: I presented that idea but there was a lack of support for XBL. That was my preferred proposal for Ubiquity but there are issues around it.
Erik Bruchez: Ubiquity is implementing without native support for XForms. We implement it on the server. Google GWT is used for Google Wave, and it's all written in Java and turns into HTML+JavaScript in the browser. We can do the same with XForms. Even if XBL isn't in the browser, it's not a major obstacle.
Charlie Wiecha: Exactly those issues. Adaptations of our technology as a bridge is precisely the kind of thing we should be discussing. At least some effort on consumability needs to go forward. We can do features along the way.
Erik Bruchez: I do not disagree but I don't know how the W3C can do this work as it's not a marketing organization. There are many ways to implement. It seems more Ubiquity.
Charlie Wiecha: That's the argument Leigh's been making about the Ubiquity Benevolence Society.
Leigh Klotz: I think it needs to exist.
John Boyer: It would help to know if we can change the name, and if people are interested.

John Boyer: As I started to put these things into themes, I see we are starting to talk about broad-strokes future requirements. When should we go out to www-forms and other lists and try to drum up possible interested members?
Leigh Klotz: We should have something concrete that might appeal, not asking for suggestions about what we ought to do.
John Boyer: Tomorrow, then.

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2009/06/10-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends