Re: Naming the forms/attribute technology [was Re: Discussion points for "Forms-A"]

Hi Mark (and Charlie),

Yes, as soon as your mail arrived, I did the same thing with Google and
came to the conclusion that the dash has just got to go.

Regarding whether it is called "FormsA" or "XFormsA" or "WebFormsA", I
won't focus on the XForms part because it seems unnecessary right now
(though I can expand on the point Charlie made later if needed).

It really does need to be called "WebFormsA" and not just "FormsA" though.

The reason can be found in our charter here:
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/forms-charter.html

It's really important to read the thing.  Our *mission* statement says we
will "develop specifications to cover forms *on the web*".  There is no
artificial injection of "web" here.

XForms is a technology that does seek to address the issue of forms on the
web, though its element-based approach has hampered its adoption into
non-XML documents.   The new attribute-based approach is taking a page
from the likes of RDFa to allow us to apply the technological architecture
and processing model we have developed originally in XForms into a broader
class of web forms applications.

It is also a matter of strategic positioning, not a technical issue, that
drives us here.  The creative destruction engine is alive and well in the
W3C, and we have to adapt.  There is no W3C process that describes what is
currently happening in the W3C, but we're stuck with it anyway.  And
what's happening is that there has been a major rift that we are
attempting to mend via this approach.  We need this thing to get adopted
and for progress to be made on it with the HTML WG.  It needs to become
the new thing that represents the blending or merging of thinking from
XForms and Web Forms 2.  For this reason, too, it needs to be called
something like "Web Forms A" or "WebFormsA".

Everyone gets to declare victory on mending the rift at the moment that
WebFormsA either becomes the new Web Forms 2.0 or becomes the foundation
upon which the remaining parts of Web Forms 2.0 become based.  At that
point, we have a forms technology that is architecturally aligned with
scaling up to the XForms element modules but that is also compatible with
a softer, easier and more incremental adoption into straight HTML.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: