Susan Borgrink, Progeny
Keith Wells, IBM

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0030.html

* Previous Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-forms-minutes.html

* Response to CSS3 last call

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0012.html

John Boyer: Steven has a point about namespaces.
Nick van: I think Steven has a good point and they should not break backward compatibility and behave differently on browsers that do and do not support namespaces.
John Boyer: Does that cause namespaces to be used in an unnatural way? I think in principle his point is a good one.

* Simplified Syntax

John Boyer: Here is a purchase order example. This version does not use XPath variables or named binds.
Leigh Klotz: Where is this in the agenda?
John Boyer: "Make progress on "Add Model Item Properties to UI Level" http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0013.html

<repeat name="order" nodeset="row">
    <select1 name="Product"> ...
    <input name="Quantity"> ...
    <input name="Price"> ...
    <output name="LineTotal" calculate="Price * Quantity"/>
</repeat>
<output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum(order/row/LineTotal)"/>
<output name="Tax" calculate="Subtotal * 0.07"/>
<output name="Total" calculate="Subtotal + Tax"/>

John Boyer: In the simplified syntax, the calculates would have $ as in < output calculate="$Price * $Quantity" />

Charlie Wiecha: What's the semantics of the dollar?
John Boyer: Or, what's the canonical form? If you look at the inputs that have names Quantity and Price, roughly speaking, that creates a named bind in the canonical form that binds to a Quantity element or Price element, and the the $Quantity and $Price variables have a late binding that depends on the context node that the XPath expression is evaluated in.
John Boyer: With <repeat name="order" nodeset="row"> what does that make?
Mark Birbeck: I'd like to try to clarify. Are these examples HTML with a bit of tweaking, onramp? I'm co-opting the HTML name attribute to create a bind; it's not in XForms itself.
John Boyer: I don't know whether that matters. Look at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0013.html in the canonical form; the name attributes in the simplified syntax turn into refs in the canonical syntax. We define name as a recognized attribute that is translated into something else, not a name.
Mark Birbeck: To me the core next step in resolving this is not the syntax, but working out whether we can express what we want (the middle layer) using XForms. If we scroll down to the canonical form, and use only nodeset and bind all the way through, then the only problem is where output linetotal is inside the repeat. So, are we happy that we can create a UI with only binds, and no refs?
John Boyer: I need to know what bind the repeat creates in order to get to the inner bind.
Erik Bruchez: I sent some binds to the IRC; I thought we had figured that out already. It seems fairly clear.
John Boyer: Then can you show what the bind looks like.
Erik Bruchez: The bind for the order is like you'd expect.
John Boyer: Nick's didn't look right.
Mark Birbeck: The name= should be id=.
Erik Bruchez: I used name because I suggested we use name on bind for scoping, but we can work out the examples with the id attribute as well. The name uses the name and the nodeset and it just works out: <xforms:bind id="order" nodeset="order">
John Boyer: And the repeat?
Erik Bruchez: <xforms:repeat name="order" id="orderTable">
John Boyer: The repeat with the simplified syntax.
Erik Bruchez: <xforms:repeat bind="order" id="orderTable">
John Boyer: That's wrong; I want to bind to the rows of the order.
Mark Birbeck: We need to crack the canonical form first, and then do the simple syntax. It may involve a new attribute. Our starting point is an HTML form with input and output and maybe fieldset, as Dave Raggett proposed.
Erik Bruchez: I think there is another problem which is that we are still creating implicitly a data mode, and the question is what we want it to look like. There is the order and the child elements. If we want a structure with N order elements at top level, without encapsulation, then the example would just work.
John Boyer: You still need to name the thing: <repeat name="order" nodeset="row"> The row is the repeated element.
Mark Birbeck: As Mark said, you don't want ref or nodeset in the UI because it makes it harder to move things around. I agree. You don't have to think at all about the implied data model that you are creating. You then have to think about it when you introduce nodeset.
John Boyer: <repeat name="order" thingIamRepeating="row">.
Nick van: So we have two new attributes?
John Boyer: Tongue in cheek, we might as well call it nodeset.
Erik Bruchez: ...
John Boyer: So there wouldn't be a containing element?
Nick van: There's no need for one.
Charlie Wiecha: ...
John Boyer: So the author has no way to name the containing element.
Mark Birbeck: We're not saying how can I write an XML document and that the author must be able to generate an arbitrary XML document. It's much more akin to an HTML form, where you get the data output that you have no control over: name-value pairs. I see this as you generating a fairly standard output that's useful. If you build the form and then build the server side to process the name-value pairs, you can still do that, but you have an XML document. Structure is OK but I'm not sure that we need to start with an XML PO document and try to create that.
John Boyer: I think we do. We see a slightly different simplified syntax already from this discussion. We need to settle on the simplified syntax and see what it means. So I think we want repeat name="row".
Mark Birbeck: Where does the repeat come from? In an HTML form, we would support repeat?
John Boyer: Possibly as a net new element.
Mark Birbeck: We have repeat. I mean that in our notion of simplification onramp, we say to start with an HTML form, and then gradually add features to it to make it more elaborate. So that first onramp part... you could even argue that it doesn't need repeat, or something simple.
Erik Bruchez: One idea was that the simplified syntax could implement the PO example. I think it's trivial if you don't have strong requirements on the XML data structure. You can calculate the sum for the lines and the total for the lines. As you point out, HTML5 has repeat, and our simplified syntax would be disappointing if it didn't.
Mark Birbeck: We've got repeat and we're not talking about a language different from XForms. It's at what point do you introduce it in as you build up? Our onramp form authors will begin with an HTML form without repeat. Maybe readonly, readwrite, data types, email, url, integer above 10, then controls that combine (surname + last name). Then the fieldset element might incorporate repeat, insert, delete, and trigger.
Erik Bruchez: I see what you mean. I remember Dave's example. We should consider this. If you have a form that has the name attribute, instead of requiring nodeset, we may as well do it. It fits well with the notion that we produce binds.
Mark Birbeck: So we would put in an XForms name attribute and use it from HTML.
John Boyer: Yes.
Erik Bruchez: I didn't think about HTML. I was just thinking about a simpler syntax.
Mark Birbeck: Yes. I am trying to get the exact HTML syntax. So if you start with an HTML form you can start adding XForms features slowly. Name would have to work in an XForms way for that to work.
Erik Bruchez: HTML4 doesn't have a repeat anyway.
Charlie Wiecha: Can someone summarize the new name attribute?
Mark Birbeck: It depends on which way you look at it. In my model, it is shorthand for creating a binding with the id and nodeset of the name and then the control binding to that bind.
Charlie Wiecha: And in Erik's?
Mark Birbeck: It is a ref and gets modified by the context.
Erik Bruchez: If we use ref instead of bind then we can't calculate the total without using nodeset.
John Boyer: I didn't see any problem in 0013 but I don't want to get stuck as I'm happy with the bind $ version. I think a way to translate is all we need. Is this it http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0043.html SIMPLIFIED:

<repeat name="row">
    <select1 name="Product"> ...
    <input name="Quantity"> ...
    <input name="Price"> ...
    <output name="LineTotal" calculate="$Price * $Quantity"/>
</repeat>
<output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum($LineTotal)"/>
<output name="Tax" calculate="$Subtotal * 0.07"/>
<output name="Total" calculate="$Subtotal + $Tax"/>
CANONICAL FORM:
<model>
  <instance>
    <data>
      <row>
         <Product>...
         <Price>...
         <Quantity>...
         <LineTotal>...
      </row>
      <row>
         <Product>...
         <Price>...
         <Quantity>...
         <LineTotal>...
      </row>
      <Subtotal>...
      <Tax>...
      <LineTotal>...
    </data>
  </instance>

<bind id="row" nodeset="row">
    <bind id="Product" nodeset="Product"/>
    <bind id="Price" nodeset="Price"/>
    <bind id="Quantity" nodeset="Quantity"/>
    <bind id="LineTotal" nodeset="LineTotal" calculate="$Price * $Quantity/>
  </bind>
  <bind id="Subtotal" nodeset="Subtotal" calculate="sum($LineTotal)"/>
  <bind id="Tax" nodeset="Tax" calculate="$Subtotal * 0.07"/> 
  <bind id="Total" nodeset="Total" calculate="$Subtotal + $Tax"/>
</model>

<repeat bind="row">
    <select1 bind="Product"> ...
    <input bind="Quantity"> ...
    <input bind="Price"> ...
    <output bind="LineTotal" calculate="$Price * $Quantity"/>
</repeat>
<output bind="Subtotal"/>
<output bind="Tax"/>
<output bind="Total"/>

Nick van: [irc] the only problem with Erik's variables is that you can't refer to all the LineTotal nodes only the one in the current row
John Boyer: I don't think that's true. It refers to $LineTotal outside the repeat. The meaning of the variables is decided depending on where the XPath expression is located. That's why I wanted the canonical form. The calculate goes on the bind that has id Subtotal. So the $LineTotal results in all the line totals in the set of rows; it refers to an inner bind. When you refer to an inner bind outside the bind, you get the union of matches.
Erik Bruchez: You get the exact behavior you're looking for in that example.
Nick van: [irc] I mean inside the repeat. If you want to calculate for example the percentage of a value compared to all the rows. I understand why it solves the PO form.
Mark Birbeck: That's how it works now; the only new bit is referring to the other nodeset.
John Boyer: Nick, look back at calculate="$Price". That's an inner bind referring to the another id in the same parent bind so it's a reference only to the associated parent row element, not the union.
Erik Bruchez: You can't do everything with this syntax.
Nick van: I have a better example. If you have a lot of line totals and want to include a column that gives percentage of complete sum (divide).
Erik Bruchez: You could do that with an XForms output that is outside the repeat and refer to that. That output would compute the total.
Nick van: It's a bit confusing.
John Boyer: I think it might be the jumping-off point to understand XPath. I'm not sure. For implementers, when you have a variable reference, does the XPath engine give you the context node that the variable appears in?
Erik Bruchez: You don't need to because you know where your expression is.
John Boyer: What if you type calculate="sum(../$LineTotal)"
Erik Bruchez: You can't do that. Variables are in scope for that expression and they are the set of name and value pairs, but the variable is not in context. We have a stack and when the context changes, then we push the new context information on the stack and that includes the variables.
John Boyer: [irc] Can't do, OK. Variables values can be decided relative to context node of whole expression, not context within expression

John Boyer: The only odd thing for me is this: take the simplified syntax with $ and say that implies 0043 canonical form. Then take out the $ and it still works in the canonical form.
Erik Bruchez: Or leave them there; you may have to slightly work out on the dependency graph, as the XPath engine will tell you the variables. So you don't need to take out the $. You don't have to worry about ../ or context.
Charlie Wiecha: Why isn't the context wrong for the line total example?
John Boyer: It's wrong with the $ out; you'd have to say row/LineTotal instead of LineTotal, but it's otherwise identical.
Nick van: Is it because of the rule that the nodeset changes from one rule to all whether you are inside or outside the bind? I'm not used to that yet.
Erik Bruchez: For when you remove the $ it works are do you mean the email you sent? The grand total needs a context attribute.
John Boyer: Replace $LineTotal with row/LineTotal.
Nick van: You need a nested calculate with context=".." and then it's OK.
John Boyer: If you start with <output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum($LineTotal)"/> in 0043 and someone "forgot" the $ why can't I type this instead: <output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum(row/LineTotal)"/>
Nick van: You need the trick.
John Boyer: The ../. I see, name doesn't change the evaluation context, but ref does.
Nick van: That's what I asked you last week.
John Boyer: The $ syntax allows us to define a change of context as an implicit behavior of the processor.
Erik Bruchez: Yes. It saves a lot, especially in the specification.

Mark Birbeck: To loop back to something Erik said last week: one of Erik's problem with $ was that he wanted to reserve it for variables, and then maybe this is what variables are. But Erik said variables are locally scoped and in context. So one twist is that where you've created binds in 0043, if you had each bind created next to the control that it was caused by, then that output <output bind="LineTotal" calculate="$Price * $Quantity"/> would be locally scoped.
Nick van: It has to be available outside the scope though.
Mark Birbeck: Yes, that's true.
Erik Bruchez: I haven't yet reconciled bind variables and scoped variables. The bind provides the name but also points to the node for MIPs. Variables in XPath and other W3C recommendations are defined as variables with name and values with allowed XPath content. I have very lukewarm feelings to say that bind is a variable; if we were to extend bind to hold strings, then why would I use bind when I want to use variable?
Nick van: I wasn't complaining about bind, and I would about using variable, if you define it once, the value stays the same. Here we have a different situation and the bind declares two variables; one inside repeat and another outside.
John Boyer: [irc] <output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum($LineTotal)"/>
John Boyer: [irc] <output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum(row/LineTotal)"/>
Mark Birbeck: ...
John Boyer: What if you want to refer to the outer line total from inside the repeat?
Mark Birbeck: You have to create some kind of global subtotal.
Nick van: That's a bit limiting.
Erik Bruchez: So you could do ...
John Boyer: So you can escape dollar syntax when you need to because the canonical representation is defined.
Nick van: Then why do we need attribute name instead of ref?
John Boyer: In 0043 the name implies a bind and a UI control with a bind instead of a ref.
Mark Birbeck: That's how we first implemented the XForms processor, with everything creating a bind. The implementation is starting to look straightforward. We need to say something about the evaluation context. If your evaluation context is given to you by a bind statement, then the variable bindings come from that bind statement context.
Erik Bruchez: That's not quite correct; in a LineTotal before repeat, all the variables would be in scope. You do see those variables as well.
Nick van: That's a bit of a problem.

John Boyer: We have four or five minutes left.

* Call Timing

John Boyer: Is 15 minutes later for this call reasonable? Is there anybody who feels it's a problem?
Charlie Wiecha: It's OK for me.
Nick van: It's fine for me. But I have to leave at 6:30.
Steven Pemberton: [irc] I have trouble staying until 18:30. 18:15 is already hard.
John Boyer: I thought Mark and Steven would appreciate not overlapping XHTML2.
Mark Birbeck: I'd prefer to solve it. It's OK for me, but maybe for Nick and Steven.
John Boyer: In Steven's case it's more advantageous to have Steven for the first 15 than the last 15.
Steven Pemberton: I think 90 minutes is important but the overlap is the problem; you should do your best. It's troublesome to stay after 6.
John Boyer: It would be good to get you in the first 15 minutes of the call and we could understand leaving early. We lose 15 minutes either way but as Team Contact we could have you earlier.
Mark Birbeck: I could also drop off the XHTML2 call 15 minutes earlier.
Steven Pemberton: We could ask the XHTML2 group to move a quarter of an hour earlier.
John Boyer: Can you ask?
Steven Pemberton: I'll ask. We moved it later and it was a problem for people on the west coast.

John Boyer: Steven, please look at the starred issues in the agenda. Let's continue discussing http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Mar/0043.html and see if we can go with it.

* Meeting Ends

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2008/03/12-forms-minutes.html