Re: Post Postscript, Re: ACTION NEEDED (Charlie, Nick, Leigh): XForms 1.1 schema update

Hi Mark and Leigh,

I agree with Mark on all points.

For my #2 (put header declaration inside of submission), I merely thought
there was no point in worsening the problem.

In general, I don't want to preclude having us switch to a better schema
in the future, e.g. the modularized ones that MarkB has been working on. I
just didn't want that to be an obstacle to getting to CR.  We had a last
call comment about the fact that the (informatively referenced) schema did
not contain much if any correct XForms 1.1 content.  It seemed prudent to
do the hours-long task of fixing that using a schema that is tried, tested
and true (warts and all), and then get the modularized version to be
available where people could test drive it with their tools before making
it the more official, if not normative, version.

But, again to Leigh's question, no radical surgery is needed on stuff that
wasn't actually added for 1.1.

As to whether Charlie or Nick addresses those few review points I raised,
well... whoever gets there first!

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com>
Sent by: mark.birbeck@x-port.net
09/26/2007 10:48 AM

"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
cc
Nick_Van_den_Bleeken@inventivegroup.com, "Charles F Wiecha"
<wiecha@us.ibm.com>, John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA, "Forms WG (new)"
<public-forms@w3.org>, public-forms-request@w3.org
Subject
Re: Post Postscript, Re: ACTION NEEDED (Charlie, Nick, Leigh): XForms 1.1
schema update

Hi Leigh,

One of the main reasons I started changing the schemas, many moons
ago, was to address exactly this problem. As you know, in the course
of that I also looked at making them work with XHTML M12N (which
involved changes to XHTML M12N itself, and those changes have been
incorporated into the specification).

So the work to make XForms an XHTML M12N module is largely complete,
so the suggestion I made the other day was that it is probably best to
do the bare minimum on the current schemas in order to get everything
to last call. Of course, people are welcome to try to do more than
that with the current schemas -- it's none of my business :) -- but I
can say for certain that it will involve quite a lot of work.

Regards,

Mark

--
  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer