Re: On privacy and cloud services

On 12 June 2013 00:05, Daniel Smith <opened.to@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I am just trying to learn about the federated social web, I am
> actually going to start my own
> web mag about it. I was already going to do it, but esp in light of this
> recent PRISM finding, I am
> definitely going to do it now. BTW, I have a great name for it, which i
> will reveal when I buy the last
> domain for it. It is a great name, if i do say so myself, in tribute to
> the early predecessors of four-letter
> site names like word.com and esp the ironical or more edgy names like
> fray.com.
> I am also changing my meetup here in Houston from one dealing with Twitter
> Bootstrap, which frankly never went
> anywhere, to one centering on the Federated Social Web Space.
> But my question, is aren't current developments like Diaspora* and
> Friendica and their Red network
> products that are going in this direction?
> Though, don't get me wrong, I realize that the concept of private phone
> calls or messaging seems remote.
> Also, could someone point me to either books or sites that deal with the
> overall concepts and technologies involved in federation?

Diaspora started with the aim of end to end encryption, but gave up on that
goal pretty early.

If you talk to 10 people about the social web, you'll probably get 10
different opinions.

I would suggest learning about the standards that are out there on the web
(and what a standard actually is) and how they can be used to grow the
network effect.