Re: On privacy and cloud services

Well I am just trying to learn about the federated social web, I am
actually going to start my own
web mag about it. I was already going to do it, but esp in light of this
recent PRISM finding, I am
definitely going to do it now. BTW, I have a great name for it, which i
will reveal when I buy the last
domain for it. It is a great name, if i do say so myself, in tribute to the
early predecessors of four-letter
site names like word.com and esp the ironical or more edgy names like
fray.com.
I am also changing my meetup here in Houston from one dealing with Twitter
Bootstrap, which frankly never went
anywhere, to one centering on the Federated Social Web Space.
But my question, is aren't current developments like Diaspora* and
Friendica and their Red network
products that are going in this direction?
Though, don't get me wrong, I realize that the concept of private phone
calls or messaging seems remote.
Also, could someone point me to either books or sites that deal with the
overall concepts and technologies involved in federation?
Thanks for any help.
Daniel Smith
Houston