Re: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

> Simon Tennant <mailto:simon@buddycloud.com>
> 11 June 2013 18:01
> I really don't think this matters: each federated social network will
> have a different use case.
>
> Webfinger works well when you control the entire stack / have
> everything running on one box.
>
> In our experience, customers installing buddycloud instances have a
> marketing firm looking after their "shop-window"/example.com
> <http://example.com> website and a dev-ops team installing buddycloud
> software. The dev-ops wouldn't want the outside webfirm touching their
> DNS and the webfirm wouldn't want to be minding to not touch a
> .hosts-meta on the hosting platform.
>
> So in buddycloud's case DNS makes more sense. There's no right way or
> wrong way: just use what works for your own project and document it well.
>
> S.

The way Webfinger suggests to deal with this is to 301 Moved Permanently
your /.well-known/, but I can understand the trickiness of that.

If the outside firm is also hosting the website, I understand the
difficulty. If it's hosted internally (but the outside firm are
maintaining it), then redirecting well-known should be no more than a
couple of lines in the web server configuration.

As you've said BuddyCloud is based upon XMPP, then a DNS based solution
just makes sense there anyway (because XMPP is already using SRV records)