Re: Finding user profiles on a Social Net

On 6 June 2013 16:41, Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com> wrote:

> I generally dislike /.well-known because it makes lots of assumptions
> about the web-root being available.
>
> Three problems with this:
> 1.  Others might run hosted personal pages like those hosted on about.me.
> For example my sister runs a hosted store on her domain. Short of getting
> the eCommerce provider to change their code, she would never be able to
> implement anything social.
>
> 2.Often times an organization will have their web-root maintained by
> another company. Page updates could easily overwrite a nice /.well-known
> hierachy.
>
> 3. I don't know the answer to this, but how long should /.well-known be
> considered authoritative? What kind of refresh interval?
>
> When you start thinking about it, this is all a hack to accomplish what
> DNS already does. DNS-SD has already solved this, and has caching, and with
> zone signing, authority.

Hi Simon, I got a reply from stuart re this:

"DNS-SD is not magical. It really just does one simple thing -- where a
user would have to type in an IP address, instead they can select from a
list. So if you have something where today the users would have to set it
up by typing in addresses, then DNS-SD can simplify that step."

It's quite interesting.  I'm still trying to get my head around how this
could be used, though ... :)