Re: RE : Question on Adding undeclared productions

Hi Youenn,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I see that a similar thing can happen for CH
events and also for SE events.  I had originally thought that when an
event had more than one event code, they would necessarily be
distinguishable by the presence or lack of the [untyped value]
designation, but that is not the case.

So, as an example, it is possible to have a non-terminal with
productions like:
     ElemX : AT(*) ElemX    a
     ElemX : AT(*) ElemX    b.c
     ElemX : AT(*) [untyped value] ElemX   b.(c+1).d

where the first two productions are completely interchangeable; whenever
one could be used, the other could just as well be used.  I don't see
anything that prevents an implementation from actually using the longer
event code (though I can't imagine why they'd want to), so I suppose
decode implementations are obliged to be ready to handle both the longer
and the shorter event codes.

I personally find this is a little surprising, so I think it would not
be a bad idea to note the possibility of interchangeable/redundant event
codes in the text.  You might do so even in 8.5.4.4 as part of the
introductory/overview text.

Thanks & Regards,
Kevin