Re: Consider Move To Front in Partitions Optimized for Frequent use of String Literals

Hello Mohamed and thank you for your comment.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Mohamed ZERGAOUI wrote:

> In  7.3.3 Partitions Optimized for Frequent use of String Literals
>
> It is said :
> [[
> Editorial note
> String values representing value content items are never added to the
> string table once valueAmount reaches valuePartitionCapacity. The
> working group is still looking at other alternatives to cap the amount
> of memory used for value partitions that can result in more compact
> representation of string values overall, including those that involve
> reassignment of compact identifiers using some sort of round-robin
> selection method, and the expected effect on processing efficiency of
> each alternative.
> ]]
>
> Please consider using Move to front method

When initially discussing the valuePartitionCapacity option, the
working group analyzed several different potential methods for
treating new strings when the maximum capacity is reached. These
methods included Move to front, which you proposed.

The group does not believe that Move to front can be sufficiently
efficient to serve as the replacement method, based on analysis of the
possible algorithms in this context. The string table is used constantly
when processing an EXI document, so it needs to be as efficient as
possible, and we do not believe that the potential improvement in
compactness is worth the amount of decreased processing efficiency that
Move to front is estimated to result in.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju, Helsinki University of Technology
If you want a response, you must demonstrate