Re: Question about EXI Draft - EXI Format Version

Hello Keisuke and thanks for your comment,

TAMIYA Keisuke <tamiya.keisuke@canon.co.jp> writes:

> Dear W3C EXI WG members,
>
> I have a question about this draft specification.
>
> EXI has a EXI format version (ref. S.5.3).
>
> In the future, the version number will be over 1.
> When an EXI parser read the EXI data having a version number other than
> 1, how should it process the EXI data ?
>   - Stop or continue parsing?
>   - Pass error or warning event to the application?
>   - Not define in the specification?

Text relating to this case when considering potential future final EXI
versions was indeed missing from the format specification. Currently,
the specification requires an EXI processor to process any final
version that it understands. For preview versions, the specification
already says that the behavior is implementation-dependent.

As the working group cannot know what potential final EXI versions
will look like in the future, we have decided not to constrain the
processors in any manner in this case. We will therefore add text to
the specification stating that the behavior on seeing a version number
unknown to the processor (either preview or final) depends on the
implementation, and possible behaviors include rejecting the stream.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju, Helsinki University of Technology
 ()   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN