Re: Valid XML

From: "Patrick Lauke" <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
>> Jim Ley
>But, to play devil's advocate: doesn't that reinforce the whole
>original point even more?

I believe it does yes, XHTML 1.1 is no less supported in current user agents
than XHTML 1.0, therefore if you believe that XHTML 1.0 is supported then
you also have to believe that XHTML 1.1 is, so WCAG 11.1 says _use the
latest specification where supported_  so either XHTML 1.0 is supported
enough to be used, in which case so is XHTML 1.1, or it's not, in which case
neither are appropriate.

>  (and any sites opting to go with compatible XHTML 1.0
>or higher are going one step further than what WCAG 1.0 is requiring
>them to do)?

XHTML 1.0 is not a later version of HTML 4.01 - Nowhere in WCAG 11.1 (or
anywhere else in WCAG) recommends makes you decide a particular technology,
you can choose XHTML or HTML, if you choose either 11.1 says to use the
latest supported, that is either 4.01 in the case HTML, or 1.1 in the case
of XHTML, if you choose XHTML, you use 1.1, it's equally as supported as
XHTML 1.0.

As to the compatibility guidelines, they're a joke which not even the W3
decides to bother with on their own homepage, and the HTML WG has left open
issues against for more years than I have mail archives for - resulting in
the W3's own homepage begining with untelligible gobbledygook on at least
one of the most modern browsers available for one of the platforms I have in
this room.  (C.1 and C.14 both ignored, C1 causing the problem.)

Jim.