Web services and application/xhtml+xml

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 08:11:46 -0500
To: 'public-evangelist@w3.org' <public-evangelist@w3.org>

Hi everyone,

Just for the record and to know if there's a way to teach Web services
providers to handle correctly mime types.

So recently, I decided to switch a Web site to serve the pages with the
mime-type "application/xhtml+xml".

* Some versions of IE Windows failed completely to render the page,
some others only the text without images and CSS, which is fine by me.
I made it on purpose because Firefox, Opera, Safari can handle this
mime-type at least.

* The ping service weblogs.com seems to not accept this mime-type

* Some automatic translation services like
	- babelfish of Altavista,
	- Google translation
can't handle the mime-type and they return only the text in its
original version. There's a french online service which perfectly works
with it: trans.voila.fr. In fact the service uses Systran which works
too www.systransoft.com/

It would be interesting to know if you have discovered other online
services which can't handle properly application/xhtml+xml

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***