Re: W3C Home page switched to full CSS layout

John Colby wrote:

> I'm really getting puzzled by al this insistence on HTML4.01. As I
> understood it, HTML4.01 is the last of the line of HTML recommendations
> by W3C, we're now onto XHTML 1.0 (an XML application) and XHTML 1.1.
> XHTML2.0 proposals have been published. So why try to tie into a dying
> legacy language that has absolutely no future?
>
> Regards
>
> John
>
> And apologies to Jim - this should originally have gone to the list

John,

Please let me provide my viewpoint on this issue.

The page http://www.w3.org/ is served as text/html and as such really is
just HTML. It will invoke the HTML parser in Mozilla and Netscape 7.0
and not the XML parser. You gain no real benefit from using XHTML
content if the page is to be served as text/html.

In a reply to Jim, Dom wrote:

> But we need some wider experiment before that (as you know, some quite
> widespread browsers do not support application/xhtml+xml)

Take a look at

http://dev.bclary.com/w3/index.html   (served as text/html)
http://dev.bclary.com/w3/index.xhtml  (served as application/xhtml+xml)
http://dev.bclary.com/w3/index.xml    (text/xml)

in Mozilla, Netscape 7.0, Opera 7 beta 1 and Internet Explorer 6.

Mozilla, Netscape 7.0, Opera 7 beta 1 will display each version
correctly.  Internet Explorer can not display the page if it is served
as anything but text/html.

 From my point of view, XHTML served as text/html is useless. So, why
use XHTML on this page ?

Bob