RE: SWAD-Europe postcard picture

From: Dickinson, Ian J <Ian.Dickinson@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:30:04 +0100
To: "'Libby Miller'" <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: public-esw <public-esw@w3.org>

Hi Libby,
> What don't you like about them in particular?
The globe is too visually busy for a background (imho), and if you decrease
the opacity I think you'll lose too much of the important bits (like where
the UK is :-).   The map would be OK as a backdrop for the FOAF map if it
was semi-opaque, but (a) it misses out the rest of the world, as you said
yourself, and (b) there's a big blue empty space on the left :-).  The
atlantic is just too big** if you keep it to scale, hence my suggestion to
use more of a schematic approach.  I guess you need the cartographical
equivalent of an ellipsis, whatever that might be!

Cheers,
Ian

** qv "[the judge] ruled that the guilty party was 'life itself' for failing
to be either beautiful or true" [hhgtg]