From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org [mailto:public-esw-thes-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Stéphane Corlosquet
Sent: Tuesday, 10 August 2010 6:35 PM
To: Juan Antonio Pastor Sánchez
Cc: Alistair Miles; public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: Re: Labeling ConceptSchemes: Best Practices?

2010/8/10 Juan Antonio Pastor Sánchez <pastor@um.es<mailto:pastor@um.es>>
Hi Alistair:

Yes, basically this is my question. Thinking primarily in an
application where a KOS can be represented with several Conceptscheme.
A response from Christophe I understand the need to use DC to describe
each Conceptscheme as a resource. I would also add SKOS labels for
querying and browsing the KOS.

For now, the solution I implemented in the KOS Management System, I am
developing is:

* Each Concept, Conceptscheme and Collection, must be labeled with at
least one prefLabel.

Bear in mind that a resource should only have one prefLabel per language tag [1], so the above is fine as long as you meant to have all the prefLabel's in different language tags.

* Optionally, the user can add Dublin Core Metadata.

To describe the taxonomies in Drupal 7, we use dc:title to label ConceptScheme resources and skos:prefLabel/rdfs:label to label Concept resources, but there seem to be no strict guideline on this.

Steph.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L1567

So, I think it would be best to label a Conceptscheme with at least
one prefLabel, and optionally add DC.

What do you think?

Cheers

Juan