Re: FOAF spec revised - addtion of foaf:focus, a skos extension linking topical and factual information

Hi Simon

In the IFLA document you point we have this definition

*Focus*
In a compound term, the noun component that identifies the class of concepts
to which the term as a whole refers. (ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005). See also:
Modifier.

And checking the draft of ISO 25964 we get the same

section 7.2 "The nature of compound terms"

In the English language, compound terms very often consist of more than one
word ... The parts of most such terms can be distinguished as follows:

a)       the* focus* or head, i.e. the noun component which identifies the
general class of concepts to which the term as a whole refers;

EXAMPLES 2

1) the noun component "indexes" in the term "printed indexes"

2) the noun "hospitals" in the prepositional phrase "hospitals for children"

b)       the difference or modifier, i.e. one or more further components
which serve to narrow the scope of the focus and thereby specify one of its
subclasses;

So, indeed, possibly confusing

Bernard

--