Re: FOAF spec revised - addtion of foaf:focus, a skos extension linking topical and factual information

Hi,

On 10 August 2010 09:12, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> +cc: Leigh
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Simon Spero <ses@unc.edu> wrote:
>> Dan-
>>
>> can i suggest using a different word  than focus, as this is term of art in
>> controlled vocabularies. It is used when referring to modified/specialized
>> "terms".
>
> Thanks for the feedback. It seems that words are like Internet domain
> names; all the good ones are taken!

I wasn't aware of that usage. I can see how it might be confusing to
that specific community.

I agree with Dan's comments around "references" and similar naming:
that situation is already murky, so best not to make it worse. I also
don't really think that referencing/referring captures the intent as
well as "focus".

> Saying that the concept *references* the real world entity seems a
> tiny bit strong anyway; I guess I'd say 'reference' with regard to the
> concept's documentation, or with regard to a use of the concept in
> some document. But at some level this is all metaphor anyhow; nothing
> is really 'focussing' either. I had hoped 'focus' was a word that came
> with relatively little baggage in this community and amongst Web
> technologists, since 'topic' and 'subject' are already heavily
> over-used.

Likewise, until now I had seen focus as relatively unused and unburdened.

Is there scope to leave foaf:focus in FOAF and explore a more general
term for inclusion as part of SKOS. One might end up superceding the
other if successful.

Cheers,

L.

--