Re: Lack of RDF/XML examples in new standards

From: Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:22:04 +0000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

On 2008 Nov 12, at 08:45, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> But they are not necessarily clearer to beginners than RDF/XML

Good heavens!  I would _never_ show a beginner RDF/XML.  Do you really
do this?

The only reasons I can think of to use RDF/XML are:

1. it's the only one which is formally standardised (what's keeping
Turtle?);

2. it's easier to generate from XML using a stylesheet, even though
the RDF/XML syntax is sufficiently confusing that this is still a
rather mind-bending experience; or

3. you want to fill your audience with a sense of horrified awe.

If you have to generate RDF/XML from Turtle for some reason, then
tools like rapper from librdf.org are very useful.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester