RE: [SKOS] Amsterdam topic "Semantic Relation Properties"

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:39:28 +0100
To: "Thomas Baker" <baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de>, "SWD Working Group" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, "Sean Bechhofer" <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi all,

Sorry again for being too late for the meeting packet.

As input to the "Semantic Relation Properties" topic, I've written a strawman semantics for skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related ...

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/SemanticRelations/MinimalProposal?action=recall&rev=6>

As with the other strawmen, this proposal tries to make the least ontological commitment, and cater for the different needs of our use cases.

As I see it, the main decision points for this topic are:

 * skos:broader is transitive? (yes/no/maybe)
 * skos:broader is intransitive? (yes/no/maybe)
 * skos:broader is reflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
 * skos:broader is irreflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
 * skos:broader cycles are an error? (yes/no/maybe)

[1] answers "maybe" to all five questions, to give the most flexibility; everything else should not be contentious.

Cheers,

Alistair.