Re: [SKOS] thesaurus USE patterns

From: Mark van Assem <mark@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:34:54 +0100
To: Antoine Isaac <Antoine.Isaac@KB.nl>
CC: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi,

> Well there is a point in what Bernard says: if you aim at some standard
> it's better if people are convinced there is nothing like a monster in
> the closet ;-)

Agreed. So who can spot a monster?

> So keeping simple and keeping the door open for extensions, yes. Keeping

In which case you need a skos:Term class.

BTW there was a reconciliary proposal by Dan Brickley to indeed use the
more complex model but provide a rule set with which you can
automatically convert to the simpler (current) model. But I don't know
if that would be useful as the conversion would probably be difficult
the other way around.

> I think that in the process of that I will try to give references to
> existing cases where these links would be useful. This may include some

Look at all the places where WordNet is used :-)
A Term class basically means starting to use a model very similar to
WordNet's.

> also try to mine the old mails of this list, where this subject has
> already been debated as Mark recalls. So if you have examples to feed us

See [1,2,3].

Mark.

[1]http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals.html#thesaurusRepresentation-11
[2]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2006May/0009.html